In October 2014, Capitol Beverage (established in Austin in 1976 by Roy Butler) and Wright Distributing Co. (established in Bastrop in 1948 by Louis & Virginia Wright) formed a new company called Capitol Wright Distributing, LLC. Immediately, this new company purchased Saunders Distributing in La Grange, which was the first entity to go under the new umbrella.
In January 2015, Capitol Beverage and Wright Distributing also merged under this new Capitol Wright Distributing (CWD) umbrella. To complete the merger and acquisition, CWD then purchased Keg 1 Austin. These four companies and cultures brought together their various and similar portfolios of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages and continued to service retail accounts in fourteen counties out of nine warehouses.
Under the leadership of Ed Butler, President of CWD, the Butler Family purchased land and built the new home for CWD on the Southeast corner of Highway 290 and Toll Road 130 in Manor. This 435,000 square foot warehouse now houses all of the North and South Austin locations and the Taylor operation; and eventually incorporated the New Braunfels and Bastrop operations as well.
Capitol Wright Distributing services 2,061 off-premise accounts (convenience stores and grocery stores) and 2,476 on-premise accounts (bars and restaurants) in fourteen counties and employs approximately 600 people as an equal employment opportunity wholesale beverage distributor of Texas.